Sunday 10 July 2011

I have mentioned earlier how constant sunlight has given me the opportunity to appreciate the magnificent view from my room at all times.  For example, at 3 or 4 pm when I am trying to sleep.  From Sunday to Friday I didn't sleep more than five hours a night.  Having taken enough of the sun's bullshit, I covered my window with tin foil on Friday evening which has helped me to catch up on sleep.
On Saturday we walked south, down the valley from Holar to a nearby lake.  The sky was beautifully clear and blue and though there snow still clung to the mountain peaks the valley floor was quite warm and gently breezy.  We passed beautiful Icelandic horses who trotted up to the road to say hello.  The lake was wonderfully chilly and refreshing and we all took turns jumping into it.
One of Iceland's most famous attractions is the thermal pools which are common to all regions of the country. Hot pools of water, which are heated naturally by volcanic energy, are a deeply surreal experience 40 km south of the Arctic Circle.  In the freezing and totally depopulated Icelandic highlands it is possible to find bodies of water 25-35 degrees all year round.  On Sunday the weather held and the day was beautiful clear and warm.  We were driven to two thermal pools north of Holar on the Atlantic coast in Skagafjordur.  After changing in turf houses, we sat in rock pools gasping at the heat against a backdrop of snow capped mountains and the Atlantic.  The experience is quite bizarre and yet, very relaxing and I almost drifted to sleep right there.





No comments:

Post a Comment