Tuesday 26 July 2011

How I became the King of Icelandic Archaeology

Yesterday, I was expertly removing a layer of turf with style and panache when my attention was caught by a spiral lying in the soil.  It was a small thing; something a lesser archaeologist might have missed or else disregarded.  Fortunately, I am no lesser archaeologist.  As I took the artifact in my hand I knew that Icelandic mothers would tell of this moment to their sons for generations before entoning in voices hushed "but enough talk of great men; be one".  I stood and raised the spiral in a clenched fist to the heavens.  "I have become a god" I cried and knew that it was true.
What I had found turned out to be the second silver artifact recovered from Kolkuos; a piece of Medieval currency.  In seriousness, I was very fortunate and lucky to find it.  Archaeology is, to a great extent, luck and on Tuesday I happened to be the one lucky enough to make an amazing find.

No comments:

Post a Comment